Complications and management of acute copper sulphate poisoning; a case discussion
1 University Medical Unit, National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka
2 Department of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 Ward 49, National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 Medical Intensive Care Unit, National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology 2011, 6:34 doi:10.1186/1745-6673-6-34Published: 19 December 2011
Copper sulphate ingestion (accidental or deliberate) is a rare form of poisoning usually limited to the Indian subcontinent. Though the rates are on the decline, it is essential that physicians are aware of its lethal complications and management strategies. The main complications of copper sulphate ingestion include intravascular haemolysis, methaemoglobinaemia, acute kidney injury and rhabdomyolysis. The lethal dose can be as small as 10 grams. We have explored the complications of acute copper sulphate poisoning with examples from two case presentations. We also recommend measures for prevention of such events.